What are the Longest Animals in the Ocean?
Not a question you hear everyday. We know the fastest ocean animals, soon we will also know the largest, but for now we will learn the 10 of the longest creatures in the ocean (courtesy of PeerJ). This isn’t a list of the absolute longest sea creatures (#1 is the absolute longest though), because it would then be populated with mostly different species of jellyfish and whales, but rather a list of 8 different animals that are quite long.
8. Giant Oceanic Manta Ray – 23 feet long
7. Great White Shark – 23 feet
6. Giant Oarfish – 26.25 feet
5. Killer Whale – 32 feet. Read more about killer whales
4. Giant Pacific Octopus – 32.15 feet. Longest octopus. Read more about octopuses.
3. Giant Squid – 39.37 feet. Longest squid. Read more about squid.
2. Blue Whale – 108 feet.
1. Lion’s Mane Jellyfish – 120 feet. Read more about jellyfish.
- The longest animal in the ocean is the lion’s mane jellyfish, with the tentacles accounting for 115 of it’s 120 foot length
- The longest fish in the ocean is the giant oarfish at 26.25 feet
- The longest mammal in the ocean is the blue whale at 108 feet
- The longest plant in the ocean is the pacific giant kelp at 250 feet , which is also the fastest growing